Friday 21 August 2015

First Couple of Weeks

Show and tell was fun last week. Now on to the serious (still kinda fun) stuff. My assignment 1 group spent the past week deciding on ideas and deciding on how we were gonna execute the idea. We only finalised on an idea which we were all satisfied with on Sunday and started setting up the environment earlier this week. I like this bunch, we're quite friendly with each other and are willing to help each other if needed.

I volunteered to be PM this time because I wanted to know what it would be like. So far, we were able to split the work nicely into front end and back end. Having chosen to use Django, and emberjs we were able to decouple very well. The two are connected through HTTP requests and responses. From my perspective, perhaps since it's still the first week, I think our group is proceeding with our tasks without too many problems. Technical problems, however, existed. We still had to research and discuss issues as we went along.

One improvement I think I hope to take into account for the rest of our assignment is the assignments of tasks. At times, I think I'm confused with my backend partner on what tasks we are supposed to be doing. Since we're both pretty new to this framework, it happens. Perhaps we could try to split the work in such a way that we don't have to cancel or change what we've done to be consistent and efficient. As the project manager, I should try to manage our project better. :P

Assignment 2 has begun as well. And tutorials are starting next week. This is the moment where I learn to manage all my work so that I don't have to forgo any of it. (Hopefully I don't have to!)

3 comments:

  1. Haha I'm guessing next week is when you stop sleeping altogether. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't remember if you were at my workshop yesterday but I covered this.

    As a project manager, you have to set a deadline and deliveralbe for EVERYTHING!

    E.g: By date ____, we will FINALIZE the idea and no more changes will be accommodated after that (other than results of user testing that tells you a feature is needed / a feature is not importatn / things are confusing etc).

    As for how to split work among developers, since you are using a MVC framework the way we usually go about it is:
    1 developer touches the VIEW code (aka front-end)
    1 developer touches the backend code

    If you have more than 1 developer to touch the backend code, split it up into modules/features. E.g: Backend Developer A will build the login system, Bcakend developer B will build the messaging system, etc etc.

    ReplyDelete